Saturday, July 25, 2009

Question for dentist again......about false tooth?

I have my lower first molar tooh being removed last year, I want to get false tooth to fit the gap coz afraid the other tooth will move.





I've ask with my dentist, she advise to choose either the removable one, or the one with metal hook to be attached with the tooth next to it, or the plug in one (but means need to reshape the tooth next to it into smaller size so the fake tooth can be inserted)....





My question is, is there still some other techniques to attached the false tooth without reshaping or affecting my healthy tooth? not the removable one thou.





Thank you!

Question for dentist again......about false tooth?
Your dentist probably knows what he or she is talking about but if you want another opinion you should consult another dentist.
Reply:You could get an implant. They implant a titanium screw into your bone, allow some healing and attach a crown to the screw. It is probably about the same price as doing a three unit bridge (depending on your area). If I were to lose a tooth, that is what I would do. It is the closest to having your own tooth. A bridge would be if they prep (grind down) the two adjacent teeth to the space and fit a 3 unit bridge over them with a false one in the middle. The problem with these is they are very hard to clean underneath that false tooth and most people do not keep up with it. It can lead to bone loss (gum disease). There is another type of bridge where the false tooth could attach to adjacent teeth with metal wing type appliances. But this isn't a good option for molar teeth due to the force they take while chewing. Ask you doctor for a consult with an oral surgeon that places implants. They will decide if you are a good candidate and let you know the cost.


Again, that is what I would do if I lost a tooth!



my bird

No comments:

Post a Comment